Cleveland Indians baseball game
@ Ohio History Connection
Ohio Federal Writers' Project Frank Jaffa
DescriptionOriginal caption reads: "Cleveland Indians Game, Municipal Stadium. The Home Team Won. A crowd at the Cleveland Municipal Stadium for a ball game. Stadium is located on the lakefront opposite the public square. District #4, Cleveland. File Negative #120. Project Photographer: Frank Jaffa, 1940." This photograph is actually of League Park w. Originally opened in 1891, the park was renovated by Osborn Engineering in 1910, replacing the wooden grandstand with a double decked steel and concrete type. League Park was home to the National League Cleveland Spiders, the American League Cleveland Indians, and the Negro American League Cleveland Buckeyes. It was located on the corner of Lexington Avenue and East 66th Street, and was called Dunn Field between 1916 and 1927. The Indians began playing night games at Cleveland Stadium, as lights were never installed at League Park. The last game was played there September 21, 1946 and the stadium demolished in 1951.