Skip to main content

Captain John Bennett house

View
@ Lancaster Historical Society

Description

The Captain John Bennett House, near the Nashua River on Route 117 in North Lancaster, was built in 1717. Local legend identifies this house as a stopping place on the Underground Railroad for runaway slaves escaping to Canada. This, however, has never been substantiated. From 1872 to 1874, the house was occupied by the first Adventist missionary, J.N. Andrews, who revised his History of the Sabbath while living there.Title from item or accompanying materials.Date supplied by cataloger.Atlantic Union CollegePublished in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
Type:
Image
Format:
Photographs
Created Date:
1850 2000
Rights:
Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
View Original At:

From Collection

Lancaster, Massachusetts Historical Image Collection

Record Contributed By

Lancaster Historical Society

Record Harvested From

Digital Commonwealth