Skip to main content

Gibson House Cincinnati, Ohio

View
@ Ohio History Connection

Ohio Federal Writers' Project

Description

This photograph (ca.1935-1943) is of an engraving of a scene on the west side of Main Street, between Fourth and Fifth Streets, in Cincinnati. It shows the Gibson House, as well as a General Rail Road Ticket Office, an Omnibus Office, and U.P. James, Publisher & Bookseller. Gibson House opened in 1849 by J.K. and D.V. Bennett. Artist William A. Thien painted many wall decorations and frescoes in the interior of the hotel. Considered the "best house in the city" for a time, it was often used for celebrations and to greet VIPs visiting Cincinnati, including Rutherford B. Hayes, in 1877. In 1899, a newspaper article announced that a firm in Chicago was finalizing plans for construction of a more modern facility, to be located in the same place as the earlier structure.
Type:
Image
Format:
Picture
View Original At:

Record Contributed By

Ohio History Connection

Record Harvested From

Ohio Digital Network