@ Ohio History Connection
Ohio Federal Writers' Project
DescriptionCaption reads: "The Old Wheeler Tavern. August 21, 1936. District 1. District 6. Mercer County." Built around 1835, by Portius Wheeler, the Wheeler Tavern is located near the Shawnee Ford of the Scioto River in Kenton, Ohio. The colonial style house was built to accommodate travelers on the Old Sandusky Trail that ran from Cincinnati to Sandusky and was the first residence constructed of brick in Hardin County. The mansion served as a station on the Underground Railroad, and some of the travelers that stayed were Henry Clay, General Harrison, and Stephan A. Douglas.