Skip to main content

Southwind No. 169

View
@ Atlanta History Center

Description

This recording opens with an introduction of the program by Boyd Lewis. The first segment, which begins at 1:14, is a segment about the publication of the first "Atlas of Georgia" published in 1986. The program features audio excerpts from Howard Schretter at the University of Georgia; He talks about the physical environment, demographics, and history of the state. The second segment, which begins at 13:46, is a feature on the medical profession and abortion. The program features audio excerpts from Melanie Kernikin, founder and director of Georgia Nurses for Life, who engages with Boyd Lewis on her philosophy of abortion and when it should be allowed. The third segment, which begins at 22:00, is a feature about a play that showed in Atlanta in 1986, about the parallels between the Underground Railway and the sanctuary movement helping Central American refugees escape violence. The play is produced by Boston's Underground Railroad Theater and showed in Atlanta's Grant Park. The program features audio excerpts of John Levandowski and Deborah Wise of the theater group, and sanctuary movement participant Don Bender. The program ends with a sign off by Boyd Lewis.Southwind" was a radio program about the issues, people, and culture of the South that aired on WABE-FM, Atlanta's public radio station. The series, which aired from 1980 to 1987, was conceived, produced, and reported by journalist Boyd Lewis.Local identification number: MSS 1118.169.001Local identification number: ahc.1118.169.001Southwind recordings
Type:
Sound
Format:
7 In. Reel To Reel Audio Tape, 3 3/4 Ips29:44 Minutes
Created Date:
1986 10 02
Rights:
Https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/Copyright is held by Boyd Lewis. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons, Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivsCC BY-NC-ND license https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
View Original At:

From Collection

DPLA: Include in Digital Public Library of America

Record Contributed By

Atlanta History Center

Record Harvested From

Digital Library of Georgia