@ Valley Cottage Library
DescriptionStorm's Tavern, located at the southwest corner of Casper Hill Road and Storms Road - an intersection important in Revolutionary and pre-Revolutionary times, when Casper Hill was part of Kings Highway. This sandstone and frame house was built about 1765 with its main entrance immediately abutting Casper Hill Road. Still standing is the large sandstone block on which passengers alighted from the stagecoach, which for many years made this point its first stop on the route north. A legend persists that the Continental Army forces once quartered here, backed their horses down Casper Hill to confuse the oncoming British and the make their own escape. Half a century later the house had became a way station on the Underground Railroad by which runaway slaves escaped to the north.
Photograph : B&Amp;W
Prior written permission is required for any use of the images in this collection from the Holding Institution.