A black and white image of Bernard Mallon, Massie School's first principal
@ Massie Heritage Interpretation Center
DescriptionMassie Common School opened October 15th, 1856 "for the education of the poor children of Savannah" and closed in 1974. Peter Massie, a Scottish planter in Glynn County, Georgia, bequeathed the original $5,000 for the founding of the school. The Massie School building was built in the Greek Revival style and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. During the Civil War the Massie School building was used as a Union hospital, and it operated for a few months as a school for African American children after the Civil War.