Skip to main content

Report on the Proposed Mountain Culture Program for Great Smoky Mountains National Park

View
@ Western Carolina University

Stupka, Arthur

Description

Shortly after the Great Smoky Mountains National Park was established in 1934, the National Park Service produced this report to evaluate and plan a program to preserve mountain culture. By this time, most of the 4,000 people who formerly lived within the park boundaries had moved out and what was left were abandoned homesteads and buildings. This 1938 report, by Wilburn, Grossman, and park naturalist Arthur Stupke, documented communities and proposed the preservation of structures within the park. Their plan for a Museum of Mountain Culture evolved into today’s Mountain Farm Museum.American History and Culture Research Studies by the National Park Service 1935-1984 Published by: Chadwyck-Healey Inc. 1021 Prince Street Alexandria, Virginia 22314 This publication is accompanied by an index on microfiche listing the reports by state and park name including the number assigned to each report. Arrangement of Information on the Microfiche: No more than one National Park Service report appears on each microfiche. Microfiche Numbering: In the top right hand comer of the microfiche is the number of the report as assigned in the index. Technical Data: Producing Laboratory: Chadwyck-Healey Inc. Date of Publication of Microfiche Edition: 1986 Format: 49 double frame, 105mm x 148mm positive silver halide microfiche, 24 x nominal reduction. Copyright: The arrangement of the pages on microfiche is the copyright of Chadwyck-Healey Inc. Paper copies of this arrangement of pages on microfiche may be made without the written permission of Chadwyck-Healey Inc. for internal and reference use only and not for resale. Distribution Outside...
Format:
Publications (Documents)165 Pages
Contributors:
United States. National Park Service
Rights:
All rights reserved. For permissions, contact Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg, TN 37738;
View Original At:

Record Contributed By

Western Carolina University

Record Harvested From

North Carolina Digital Heritage Center