@ Atlanta History Center
DescriptionView of the exterior of the Georgia Governor's Mansion on Peachtree Street at its intersection with Cain Street (now Andrew Young International Boulevard) in Atlanta, Georgia; this copy of a 19th century engraving was tinted with watercolors by Reeves in 1939.In 1870, a large Victorian home located on Peachtree Street at its intersection with Cain Street (now Andrew Young International Boulevard) was purchased from John H. James to serve as the first official governor's mansion in Atlanta. The home had been designed by architect W. H. Perkins. Seventeen governors occupied this Peachtree Street residence, until Governor Dorsey vacated the increasingly dilapidated building in 1921. The home was subsequently demolished in 1923 and replaced by the Henry Grady Hotel. The Westin Peachtree Plaza now occupies the site.