Skip to main content

Old Stone House in Rayland

View
@ Ohio History Connection

Ohio Federal Writers' Project

Description

Caption reads: “Negative of – Old Stone House used as Underground Railroad. Jefferson County.” The Old Stone House, also known as the Bayless House, was built by John B. Bayless in 1836. Bayless was an abolitionist from Maryland who moved to the area with his wife with several black servants who were granted freedom but did not leave his household. Supposedly, escaping slaves traveling to Mount Pleasant used a tunnel that spanned from the house to the nearby river.
Type:
Image
Format:
Picture
View Original At:

Record Contributed By

Ohio History Connection

Record Harvested From

Ohio Digital Network