Hong Kong restaurant in Chinatown
@ Los Angeles Public Library
DescriptionTitle supplied by cataloger.The original Los Angeles Chinatown began in the late 1800s located on what was called Calle De Los Negros, between El Pueblo Plaza and Old Arcadia Street, and east across Alameda Street. Prior to construction of the Union Station Terminal, the city forced residents out and demolished the structures. The demolition of old Chinatown resulted in the creation of two new areas of Chinatown in 1938: China City, a tourist attraction designed by Olvera Street founder Christine Sterling, and New Chinatown, later to be known as Old Chinatown Plaza, a business and residential neighborhood created and funded by the community under the leadership of Peter Soo Hoo.Exterior view of the Hong Kong restaurant located in the center of Chinatown.
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.