Jackson, Perry 1966
@ Cleveland Public Library
DescriptionPerry B. Jackson (1896-1986) was the first elected African-American judge in Ohio. The Zanesville native completed his undergraduate studies at the Adelbert College of Western Reserve University, and graduated from WRU law school in 1922. He was the editor of Cleveland Call in 1923-1927. In 1928, as a member of Ohio's General Assembly, he led the effort to adopt voter registration forms that eliminated reference to race or color, according to the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. In 1935, denied service at a bar association meeting in the Hollenden Hotel, he sued and won $350 in damages. Jackson was an assistant police prosecutor in 1934-1941. He was appointed a municipal judge in 1942, and then elected to the same position in 1945, serving three 6-year terms in that capacity. When he retired in 1973, he was a judge in the General Division of the Common Pleas Court. After that, he served as a visiting judge. Perry Jackson is buried at Highland Park Cemetery in Highland Hills, OH.